UBUNTU: Idea proposal

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:03:01 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Ian MacGregor <ardchoille42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Ian MacGregor <ardchoille42 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I'd like to propose an idea. I've never attended an installfest, though
>> > I've
>> > heard that they're great, and thought this might be a great way to
>> > advance
>> > Ubuntu Lucid in the Seattle area once it's released in April. Is the
>> > general
>> > public invited to installfests?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Ian MacGregor (aka, ardchoille)
>>
>> Will Ubuntu/Kubuntu give us some CDs to give out? I recall someone
>> volunteering to check on this -- can we have a progress report on
>> that?
>>
>> Chuck, are you planning anything down Olympia-way?
>>
>> Valorie <---------- very happy to see some activity on the list

> I don't know. I'm new to this list and figured there was someone in charge
> of this type of thing (arrangement, scheduling, etc) - if not, there should
> be. I know the local LUG has used a room at the North Seattle Community
> College for meetings in the past. I just wanted to put forth the idea,
> didn't want to go forward for fear of "stepping on toes".
>
> Does this team have someone appointed to handle this type of thing?
> What is our team structure as far as officers, treasurer, secretary, etc?

I vaguely remembered discussing this before, and it turns out we spoke
about it in IRC, at a meeting which turned out not to have enough
people for a real meeting. My notes say: A few venues were presented:
the College Inn, which is all-ages until 8pm daily; Metrix:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/metrix-create-space-seattle , which is a
hackerspace, and Pyramid:
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/seattle. I can't tell from the
website if that's all-ages, or 21+. The hackerspace sounds cool, but
we might be "preaching to the choir" there. And we'd need to bring our
own food. At the pubs, we'd have more people who haven't heard about
Ubuntu Linux, and there is food/drink to order, but some folks
don't/can't come to pubs.

Meeting in a place like that sounds like a lot more fun than some room
out of public view, but maybe that's just me?

Other ideas?

As far as organization, we haven't progressed beyond a wish to have
more organization. Two meeting times in IRC came and went without
enough people to have a meeting, and no one has stepped forward to
volunteer for leadership. So we are going on as we were, with Chuck as
a contact person, and various people tending the list, board, and
opping the IRC channel.

It's my belief that we need a few more people before we get enough to
keep going. While I cannot volunteer for leadership, it's important to
me to have some meetups, and I'll do whatever it takes to have that
happen. I was hoping we could schedule next to/close to other tech
groups, such as GSLUG, Linuxchix, etc.

I guess a calendar would be useful for that. I'll talk to Augustina or
someone and see about upcoming dates that we might match with for an
Ubuntu Hour or something.

All the best,

Valorie
--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .