UBUNTU: LoCo Direction/Focus Ideas

Paul Bartell paul.bartell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 04:15:19 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Linda Halligan
<linda.halligan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Possible directions of the LoCo in no particular order:
>
> 1. Do Ubuntu install fests
>  -as standalone events (at universities, community colleges, high schools?)
>  -in conjunction with other FLOSS groups/events

Sounds good. Universities / Community Colleges would probably be
easier than highschools. Libraries are an easy location to book. Lots
of venues cost money, so we should probably need sponsor(s). Silicon
Mechanics has been pretty nice to us in the past, but we do need a
clear point of contact, else they get mad.

> 2. Ubuntu representation at washington state linux fests/FLOSS
> conferences other appropriate events
>  -having a table/space with a demo laptop/desktop and CDs to give out

LFNW has been a pretty nice yearly event. Its been fun doing it the
last few years, lets continue. We would want to find someone to cover
the cost of cds, since I dont have $100 to throw at it each year.

> 3. Providing a regular, physical date and place to support local Ubuntu
> users

It might be easier to get this in line with LUG meetings. Maybe
partener with local lugs and have someone go to the meetings able to
offer support. Although having ubuntu get-togethers could be pretty
cool also.

> 4. Providing a regular, online place to support local Ubuntu users (irc
> channel, forums)

We could definetly get a subforum of ubuntuforums, but I dont see the
reason to handle regular support requests through a separate forum.

> 5. Get the word out about Ubuntu to people outside the FLOSS community
>  -setup a table at local farmer's markets, festivals, music events ?
>  -engage a broader audience to help eradicate Ubuntu bug # 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

Sounds good. We might want to talk to folklife about setting up a
table. It could be a good event for ubuntu kind of stuff. We should
work with the GSLUG people to pull off and awsome Software Freedom Day
even next year.

> 6. Encourage people to attend "layman"-accessible FLOSS events
>  -i. e. LinuxFest northwest
>  -LoCo meetings?

Marketing would be key.

> 7. Work with local non-profits to introduce Ubuntu as a viable
> alternative to proprietary software
>  -as internal to their organization (running their business)
>  -as inline with their external intentions (executing their mission
> statement)

Sounds like a winner.

> My personal interests lie in point 1, 2, 5, and maybe 7, but that may be
> neither here nor there if there is a consensus otherwise. Thoughts,
> opinions, ideas?
>
> -Linda

Random quote of the week/month/whenever i get to updating it: "Quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?": "who shall watch the watchers themselves?" - Juvenal