[ubuntu-us-ut] Spell Checking in Empathy

Will Smith undertakingyou at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:18:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Charles Curley <
charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> The spell checker in Empathy is giving me British (or other
> Commonwealth) spelling, not good old American
> If-It's-Good-Enough-For-Noah-Webster spelling. When I pull up the
> spelling tab in the preferences dialog, all I see is "English". Doh.

That is really interesting. I would have expected some granular divisions
in English-US and English-UK. All I see is "English" also. There are some
bug reports that seem to address this a little bit.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/488131 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/445863

One thing in the second bug it says to: " ... make Empathy recognize US
English words locally by using gconf-editor to change the relevant entry at
the path below from "en" to "en-US" and restarting Empathy.
  /apps/empathy/conversation/spell_checker_languages"

Hope it helps

Will--