[ubuntu-us-ut] Still a team?

Sam Merrell merrell.sam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 06:16:38 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 22:35, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:00:35PM -0600, Rob Oakes wrote:
> > But with that said, it hasn't really been clear about how contribute to
> Ubuntu-Utah.  There isn't much structure, nor is there a way to suggest
> ideas.  And I don't have any experience with the LoCo structure.  If it's
> anything like traditional open source projects, sometimes the best option is
> to lurk for a while, learn the culture and then become involved.  But other
> than join the mailing list and volunteer to speak at the Utah Open Source
> Conference, I wasn't aware that there are other opportunities.  Does the
> group meet regularly?  If so, is there a calendar of activities?
>
> We don't really have a calendar that I'm aware of. However, I think we
> could definitely benefit from one. It would help define things. Get us
> on track.

+1 to a calendar. It would help me remember meetings or other events
planned. It would especially be useful to me if I had a way to add the
calendar to my phone since that's the only way I remember things now. :)

> > In addition to the wiki, maybe a good next step would also be to organize
> regular meetings and talk about the scope of activities that the group would
> like to sponsor?
>
> We do have regular meetings, although I'm unsure where they are held,
> the date and time. We do have http://utah.ubuntu-us.org as our main
> page, and I tried keeping it up-to-date with the next meeting. Seems
> it's a few months out of date.

I've actually been a bit unsure about the meetings myself. From what I
understand there are meetings the second Saturday of each month up at the U
of U campus and I think I remember hearing something about a second meeting
further south in Draper? Since things are a little quiet I'm never quite
sure if there actually is a meeting or not. I definitely feel that if we all
pitch in a few minutes of our time we can start keeping the meeting
information and wiki up to date to make it easier for noobs like me to
figure out whats going on.