[ubuntu-us-ut] Grievances: Upstart, Launchpad, and Misuse of anacron

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Sep 13 19:48:17 BST 2010

Some of my problems with Ubuntu are more "under the hood" rather than
bling.

Why do Debian and Ubuntu have this screwy setup where cron calls
anacron if it is present? Let anacron run at boot and otherwise let
crontab do things.

upstart is a mess. Give me good old System V startup code. I understand
how it works and can make it do what it wants. I find upstart opaque
and confusing.

And launchpad is a slow opaque buggy mess. I've used a lot of issue
tracking tools, and launchpad is far and away the worst. Let's start
with a useless search that returns far to many false hits. I have pretty
much quit filing bugs partly because launchpad is so user hostile.

Also management: apparently some of the people using launchpad don't
know how to use an issue tracking system, so issues that should be
marked closed aren't, etc.