[ubuntu-us-ut] Airing of grievances (was Meerkat Ditching 'aptitude')

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:12:37 BST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Mike Basinger <mike.basinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is fair to say maybe Ubuntu default install is best for the
> new Linux user, and an more experience user will have the choice and
> freedom to alter their Ubuntu by easily obtain packages in the repos.

I feel like I should make it clear that, while I started this thread,
I am not anti-Ubuntu. It is still the only (by a longshot!)
distribution that I would suggest to any new user. I am simply getting
frustrated as a power-user by the way it tries to be smarter than me.
By that I mean it makes (reasonable) assumptions about things that
save normal users from trouble. As a power user I often want to move
outside of the box, and am limited in doing so.

To be clear. Ubuntu is very clean, polished and user-friendly on the
outside. It is stable. It is available and usable by "noobs". It is
the only distribution I am confident in "selling" to family and
friends--the only one I don't feel will cause me more headache in the
long run.

I don't (didn't) mean to start a flame war here, just wanted to clear
let everyone clear the air. I know we'll all find things that
frustrate us about any distribution. Just feels good to let it out
sometimes.

Christer