[ubuntu-us-ut] Airing of grievances (was Meerkat Ditching 'aptitude')

Leif Andersen tbolpi3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 16:11:50 BST 2010

Well...some options are a good thing to remove.  Take K-9 (the email client
for android) for example.  It's a really powerful email client, but it has
so many options in your face all at the same time.  Even though it was the
only email client (that I saw) on android that was even capable of doing
what I wanted it to do, I eventually gave up on it because I didn't want to
spend the hour or so it would take to customize it to a usable (for me
anyway) state.  Rockbox (to a much lesser extent) also suffers the same
problem, with too many options all at once, however I did sit down and take
the time to customize that (mainly because I use it so much).  I'm not
saying that options are bad, I don't use OS X because it's not customizable
enough (at least not in the user space, if I were to really dig into the
system I could probably customize it).

The point is, when you provide an option, you need to think about it's
context.  Does it make sense there, or would there be a better place for it.
 (Or does it even need to be there at all).  This is why Blender 2.5x (UI
wise anyway) is so much better than Blender 2.4x.

With that being said though, I do agree that Ubuntu doesn't offer enough
'options' as well, but at least there's lots of programs in the repos that
easily make up for it.

~Leif Andersen

Searching a DAG: http://xkcd.com/761/