[ubuntu-us-ut] Airing of grievances (was Meerkat Ditching 'aptitude')

Sam Merrell merrell.sam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 05:06:05 BST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 15:37, Will Smith <undertakingyou at gmail.com> wrote:

> My current complaint is the seeming attitude that release dates and
> following mainstream are more important that providing a usable system.
> Three examples,
> When 10.04 first come out no ati drivers at all. Even the FOSS alternatives
> wouldn't work. The forum and bug report all seemed to say the same thing. To
> bad, big bummer, so sad, oh well. It was a couple of months before this
> would work.

That has been a concern of mine lately. Though I don't remember running into
any ati issues using 10.04 on my T60p others I know had video driver issues
on their machines.

It used to but that notifications would pop up along the right side of the
> screen. Each notification, about an inch tall, would tile down the screen.
> Four notifications at once took up about four and a half inches, and would
> pass based upon timeout. Now, with the changes made by ubuntu you have the
> option of two notifications. The first, system notifications like network
> changes, updates available, etc. The second, just below it, for other
> notifications. Song track changing, someone talking to you in chat. These
> must wait in order to be displayed. If you have four non-system
> notifications only one shows at a time. In addition, you can not change how
> long they do display. You are stuck. Such a change removes usability and
> actually makes the system less usable.

I like the idea they have with notifications but it indeed does have some
big annoyances. I almost forgot about that :)