[ubuntu-us-ut] Airing of grievances (was Meerkat Ditching 'aptitude')

Will Smith undertakingyou at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:37:11 BST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Christer Edwards <
christer.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) window buttons belong on the right!

 Aesthetic, not a big deal.

> 2) poop brown theme turned into "OMG Purple Ponies!1!!" theme

Aesthetic, not a big deal.

> 3) aptitude removed to make room for who-knows-what "social" application

Stupid move, but in line with their goals, I guess. I agree that aptitude is
better than apt-get (although apt-get follows wild cards), but I also think
that vim should always be the default editor. I still have to install vim,
aptitude is just one more thing.

My current complaint is the seeming attitude that release dates and
following mainstream are more important that providing a usable system.
Three examples,
When 10.04 first come out no ati drivers at all. Even the FOSS alternatives
wouldn't work. The forum and bug report all seemed to say the same thing. To
bad, big bummer, so sad, oh well. It was a couple of months before this
would work.
Even now on the live CD on certain systems it comes to a login screen. There
is no password that will allow login. The bug reports for this seem to go
unanswered and unresolved. This is beyond annoying when you consider giving
a CD to a friend and he can't use the system. This bug is even present in
the 10.04.1 live CD. Apparently Long Term Support means it will take a long
time to fix anything.
Lastly, some of the changes made seem to stifle normal computer use. Take
notifications for example. It used to but that notifications would pop up
along the right side of the screen. Each notification, about an inch tall,
would tile down the screen. Four notifications at once took up about four
and a half inches, and would pass based upon timeout. Now, with the changes
made by ubuntu you have the option of two notifications. The first, system
notifications like network changes, updates available, etc. The second, just
below it, for other notifications. Song track changing, someone talking to
you in chat. These must wait in order to be displayed. If you have four
non-system notifications only one shows at a time. In addition, you can not
change how long they do display. You are stuck. Such a change removes
usability and actually makes the system less usable.

Thanks for the forum to vent,
Will Smith--