[ubuntu-us-ut] Airing of grievances (was Meerkat Ditching 'aptitude')

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Sep 12 18:54:39 BST 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:40:37 -0600
Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I'm not using Ubuntu any longer, I'll address the points you've
> brought up.
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:01:48AM -0600, Christer Edwards wrote:
> > 1) window buttons belong on the right!
>
> Mark Shuttleworth has been making Ubuntu a Mac OS X competitor since
> day one, and he has been very vocal about it. In his mind's eye, if
> GNU/Linux is to compete with the Big Dogs on the desktop, it needs to
> act like one. Because GNOME was primarily inspired by Mac OS Classic
> (9 and earlier), it makes sense to design it further to behave like
> it. If this bothers you, KDE was designed to be a Windows killer, so
> that might be more your route to take.

I don't want a "Mac look-alike". I don't want a "Windows look-alike". I
want a desktop that has all the power, flexibility and ease of use of X.
If that includes some Mac-ish or Windows-ish features, fine. But I want
those features to be there because they are good features, not because
because Mr. Shuttleworth has enslaved himself to the Ghods of Cupertino
or the Ghods of Redmond.

Maybe I'll join Aaron and move to Debian. I'm planning on replacing an
8.04 (Hungry Hippo) release with Debian stable on two machines that
provide network services around here anyway; maybe I should do the same
for other systems.

> BUt, the buttons moving to the left, the indicators, the "Me Menu",
> the task bar, the themes, everything under GNOME from Canonical is
> designed to compete directly with OS X, not Windows. While it's not my
> preferrence, they've done more for the look and feel of a desktop than
> any other vendor.

Or made it worse (less flexible, more user hostile) and more servile.