[ubuntu-us-ut] Snow College Open Source Club To Bring 100 Dead Computers Back To Life

Chris R. riseley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 04:12:02 BST 2009

Something wonderful happened at Snow College down in Ephraim, UT, this
semester:  a few energetic students formed the Snow College Open Source
Software Club.

To be chartered at Snow, a club needs to provide a service to the community.

On Saturday, November 14th, 2009, from 10:00am to 6:00pm the Open Source
Club is going to bring 100 DEAD COMPUTERS BACK TO LIFE! This will all be
happening in Humanities 122 on the Snow College campus. 150 E. College Ave.
(Turn East at our traffic signal.)

You folks on this list know exactly how this is going to happen.  People in
the community will bring in their five to ten year old systems (or even
older?) and we are going to restore these system with Ubuntu (or Xubuntu as
necessary) and introduce John Q. Public to the over 20,000 free applications
available to us in the Synaptic Package Manager.  (People will be instructed
to have cleaned off any files they hope to keep.)  The miracle of Ubuntu and
Open Source Software is about to reach Sanpete County in what we hope is a
significant manner.

The members of this club are all relatively new to Ubuntu and the world of
Open Source.  We do not have skills with terminal commands, but we sure can
pop in a Live CDs and bring systems up.  The Install CDs seem to do all the
heavy lifting.

 It might be nice to have some assistance on this day from more experienced
Ubuntu enthusiasts and so we would like to invite members of the Utah Ubuntu
Team to come on down.  The club should have a budget for food and the
hopefully there will be live music.  We're hoping for an all day party
featuring Ubuntu and hopefully the end result will be that a lot of people
walk home with their older system restored to Ubuntu -- or short of that,
they will leave with the live CD and the phone number of a club member who
can walk them through restoration of their computer. (In the spirit of Open
Source, we are doing all of this free of charge, of course.)

Please come on down Saturday, November 14th, 2009, from 10:00am to 6:00pm
and be a part of what we hope will be a real push toward educating the
public about Open Source Software.  We'd like to meet you and your expertise
will likely be needed.

Thanks,
Chris