[ubuntu-us-ut] [andrew at reductivelabs.com: Re: Short Notice (or long notice) request for Puppet presentation] (March Meeting)

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:01:10 GMT 2009

Andrew Shafer <andrew at reductivelabs.com> wrote:
>  My talk for MWRC is 'Practical Puppet: Systems Building Systems' and I'm
>  going to live demo building rails apps on EC2.
>
>  Depending on how much time I have, I can do all that plus walk through the
>  puppet resource model and philosophy of automation.
>
>  I'll probably go out with you after, but can just grab something on the
>  way up the hill.

Presenter: Andrew Shafer (andrewshafer)
Topic: Practical Puppet: Systems building systems
Date: March 14, 2009
Time: 6pm - 8pm
Location: MEB building at the University of Utah
Map: http://tinyurl.com/2k8px2

For those who don't know, Andrew Shafer works full time on the Open
Source system management framework, Puppet. He brings with him a
background in computational science, embedded Linux development, web
frameworks and Agile methods. Andrew has been an Open Source user and
advocate since the late 90s. He was a speaker at the 2008 Utah Open
Source Conference.

Puppet is a configuration management tool written in Ruby. Combined with
cobbler, puppet can be used for fully automating installs of Unix-like
systems remotely without ever sitting at the physical machine. It's a
perfect solution for Ubuntu and Debian, where preseed sucks. But, Puppet
is simpler than that. Basically, it's just a system put into place for
automating system administration tasks.

This meeting will be well worth your while to attend. See you there!

--
 ,-O  Aaron Toponce
O   } Ubuntu Member