[ubuntu-us-ut] HB139

Dominic Goodwin dgoodwinrgoodwin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:24:46 GMT 2008

Dear Representative Brad Daw,

My name is Dominic Goodwin and I have recently learned of a bill that you
are sponsoring. This bill is referred to as HB139. After reviewing this bill
I would ask you to reconsider your position on this bill. I do not believe
that this bill would accomplish what you would like to accomplish. This bill
is being put forth as a measure of "protecting our youth" from inappropriate
material accesses for the open networks. I believe it to be very noble to
want to protect our youth as well. This protection should be an important
subject and is a difficult problem in today's hi-tech society. However, this
bill makes it so the companies that have invested in providing free Wi-Fi
access to the public are at a disadvantage to large mega corporations i.e.
Comcast. Free Wireless access points around our great state is an asset to
the community at large. Educating the masses would be more effective in
preventing underage access to inappropriate and harmful material found on
the internet. I believe that personal responsibility in educating our
children in the proper use of the internet is more substantial than
legislation that effectively removes wireless access from public places.