[ubuntu-us-ut] what does it take to hook government on open source?

Clay Moultrie clay.osi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 21:52:53 BST 2008

You do make a good point on those hurdles, they essentially the same as
any large business moving to open-source. They are indeed significant
road blocks when looking short term (a period of just a few years) but
when you look at it in longer terms it makes sense. Throwing money at
proprietary software is not a good investment, its not an investment at
all because you are essentially "renting" the software for short periods
of time.

You also make a good point about the fact that a large portion of the
software government uses is very specialized, and that can be a problem
because the average developer has no use for software used to dispatch
police, this causes a lack of community. But in this case we need to
rethink who the users are. The users of this software are
municipalities, these municipalities comprise the community so imagine
if each city could employ one developer, now you've got a state wide
community of users and developers to work on these open source programs.
Every city of a given size has the same basic needs, why should every
local government in America be paying for proprietary software when they
could all work together to develop there own software?

I do think that Utah may be one of the premier states to move to open
source. Its clear that the LDS church does have an influence on our
society and government whether your LDS or not. The LDS Church has been
embracing open source for some time, Open Office has been the program of
choice by many LDS wards and Stakes throughout Utah. this article
mentions the churches growing emphasis on open-source software
development http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9905321-16.html

Thanks for all the input guys!

Clay