[ubuntu-us-ut] macbook partitions

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 24 18:20:37 BST 2007

On Wed Oct 24, 2007 at 10:41:04AM -0600, jtaber wrote:
> Thks.  It does help.  I see you used rEFIt - thought I would use grub
> but do you think REFIt is easier/better ?.  Did you run GParted from
> inside Ubuntu?  or reboot with CD and do it at time of partitioning step
> ?  What did you set partition type to for OSX?     btw not a big deal
> for me since I haven't used osx for anything and I can simply do a new
> backup of the entire /home directory (I had it organized that way from
> other laptops).

rEFIt works on the EFI based system that the apple machines use (instead
of the old-school MBR still used on most PCs).  I still have grub as
well, but rEFIt is hit first which allows me to select Ubuntu or OSX.
If Ubuntu is selected it then loads grub and boots as normal from there.
The technical difference as I understand it is the EFI loader is capable
of much more information so rEFIt can be loaded at the beginning of the
loader and grub is stored more near the end.  Also, I've read many cases
where not having rEFIt extends your boot time by 10-15 seconds or so.
I'm not sure if you're experiencing that or not..

When I first did the partitioning I think I loaded up the Ubuntu LiveCD
installer and just ran gparted to create the partitions that I wanted.
After saving those changes I rebooted, installed OSX and then installed
Ubuntu on the remaining OSX-unused partitions.

The OSX partition type is hfs or hfs+.

Christer