[ubuntu-us-ut] CD-ROM upgrade fails

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Oct 19 20:43:26 BST 2007

I took one machine with a reasonably complete Feisty Fawn Ubuntu
installation, and sucessfully ran the CD-ROM upgrade script on
it. Now, on another, more sparsely installed Feisty machine (Xubuntu),
I get this error:

root at teckla:/media/Xubuntu 7.10 i386# ./cdromupgrade
tar: ./dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all//gutsy.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Child returned status 2
Could not find the upgrade application in the archive, exiting

The errant file is in fact there, as an ll on the given path returns a
listing.

I see the same error in the Ubuntu alternate CD-ROM.

Some shells can't handle the (ugly) double slash in the path. I change
/bin/sh to point to bash (instead of dash), and I still see the problem.