[ubuntu-us-ut] Securing a Linux Server

Joseph Barney linuxalien at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 02:31:21 BST 2007

I'm no expert by any means, but there's a way of doing ssh with
public/private keys. Even if they found out the password, they can't connect
without the public key. This helps against brute force attacks. I've got it
set up that way on my Gentoo box. The instructions were on their website.
I'm pretty sure there's instructions for Ubuntu as well:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/security-handbook.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap11

That will give you an idea of what I'm talking about, but I'd definitely
refer to an Ubuntu how-to on this subject because Gentoo is kinda odd and
the instructions might not all apply to Ubuntu.

Joe