[ubuntu-us-ut] Pass-through Cache for Apt?

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 2 20:08:17 BST 2007

On Tue Oct 02, 2007 at 12:33:32PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Is there a way to cache deb packages on a server? To only pull in
> packages actually requested? Something like: Machine A asks the cache
> for package foo. It isn't in cache, so the cache goes to the
> appropriate upstream repository, gets it and feeds it to A as it comes
> in. Later, Machine B asks for foo. It's in cache, so the sever simply
> tosses it to B without going on the Internet.

Charles,

I have written tutorials on just that.  I use apt-cacher on a central
host and tie the other hosts to it.  You do have to update the
sources.list on the clients, but its a really small fix.

Two links from my blog to get you started:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/01/08/save-bandwidth-during-updates-with-apt-cacher-ubuntu-610/
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/03/saving-bandwidth-with-apt-cacher-revisited/

(the second link will publish on the blog tomorrow)

Christer