MySQL with Ubuntu 12.04

Brian Sorahan bsorahan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:22:47 UTC 2012

I just started porting an a MySQL application from Ubuntu Lucid to CentOS
this morning and found the same issues as when I tried to go from Lucid to
Precise:

> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'username'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

It sounds like this may be a different error than what you're experiencing
(1396), but I thought I would share the workaround I discovered nonetheless.
I had to change my CREATE USER and GRANT statements from

CREATE USER 'username' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
GRANT ALL ON db_name.* to 'username'@'%';

CREATE USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
GRANT ALL ON db_name.* to 'username'@'localhost';

Hope this helps!