Java Tools

Leigh Johnson leigh.e.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 21:26:07 BST 2010

Dan,

Chances are the 'tweak' they are referring to is running IE in Wine.  I have
successfully run many ActiveX apps using this process, but as far as I know
the only version of IE that will run is IE6.  Wine can be installed from the
repository (sudo apt-get install wine) and you can find details about it
here: http://www.winehq.com .

Once Wine is installed and configured, you can install IE6 via IEs4Linux.
Details here: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page .  Be
advised: there is a bug in the newer 64 bit Ubuntu distros that causes the
IEs4Linux install script to fail.  Look through the FAQ on the site to see
how to run the script with no gui and it will install without errors.

I'm pretty sure Java will install in Wine, but check the WineHQ app database
to verify.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leigh