VoteBot in Tx channel

matthew byers faintstlsaint at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 14:53:54 GMT 2009

Thank you for the response,
You make some valid points but i just dont see how changing the meeting
venue is going to solve them all!
I would like to address a few things in it.
 1)True irc does not log itself, by default but we already have personnel
who have volunteer to log and convert over to wiki format for the channel.
2.) This too can be solved through the use of either mailing list or casting
your vote before the meeting happens. We have agendas up that show all
topics for voting. (Granted i understand that this is not always the best
answer so i can see it being a problem at times!!)
3.) That is not true about only admins being able to vote...ANYONE can vote.
For instance if we were to add a bot. Yes there would be three admins
strictly for control of the bot meaning setting topics, starting and closing
votes and stuff of that sort. Being a admin over the bot does not give us
super above all 'im better than everyone else' rights in the channel. We are
just here to maintain votebot. And there is no extensive pre-requiste for
handling a bot. (Perl)

Also yes irc is still chat and yes it is unsecure but that wouldnt change
somone getting multiple wave accounts just to cast votes in the same manner.

Now if meeting times is an issue than i dont see how changing the meeting
venue is going to solve the problem of people not being able to attend. If
the meeting is sunday at 8pm in IRC and you cant make it well just because
its sunday 8pm in WAVE still is going to give the issue of people still not
being able to make the meeting. If personnel want to vote which they can
they can set it on the agenda page with their vote being voiced by them or
they can give their vote to someone else for that person to cast in their
place. I know i know i know people are not going to like that but we have to
be reasonable in how we handle this. Then if we use votes after the meeting
well then thats even a longer wait the takes place and cause twice as much
time before a decision is made. Again thats not solving anything. After we
have a meeting that should be it...topic voted upon and solved and we move
onto the next topic. Again i ask that votes be cast prior to meeting if
people ahead of time understand that they wont be able to attend. This way
they still get a vote and we dont have to have lag or wait time inbetween
topics before they are solved.

There are going to be good and bad in any place we choose to hold our
meetings...but we have to make decisions on it and we must choose the lesser
of the two evils!! :D

--
God Bless