[UbuntuDallas] Video issues

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Feb 10 21:53:49 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Juan Collao <collao at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Well, when I changed the ports, the list of USB devices changed accordingly,
> but Kaffeine still doesn't pick up the device. I just joined the Kaffeine
> mailing list to see if anyone can help. I thought about installing MythTV,
> but MythTV is not really a TV viewer, it's a DVR. It records every minute of
> what you watch, and that's not really what I want. Does anyone know of a
> good program to watch TV? I'm open to suggestions.

Many programs should work, even if they aren't optimized for it.
VLC tends to work when other programs often fail.

Again, without having any intention of pushing you to MythTV, just to
keep the factual information correct here: MythTV only records the
program while you are watching it so that you can pause or rewind it.
Once you're done watching the program, it will mark it for deletion
(or you can delete it immediately).  Myth technically doesn't even
have to control channel changing, although it's probably more
convenient if it does.

  Marc