[UbuntuDallas] Video issues

Juan Collao collao at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 03:30:33 GMT 2010

Ok, I feel like I'm making progress. Yes, the TV device is a USB gadget.
I ran "sudo lsusb" and I got the following:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2040:6513 Hauppauge WinTV HVR-980
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp. Natural Ergonomic
Keyboard 4000 V1.0
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08b2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 4000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a/HP M-UV96
Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

So I see the WInTV HVR, keyboard, mouse and webcam (which by the way
stopped working with Cheese). Linux is recognizing all of these devices,
but not all are working. The other weird thing is that my printer is
also connected to a USB port and it works fine, but it doesn't show
here. Now when I open Kaffeine and I go to configure the TV device it
shows: Device 1: LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend. I don't know
where it pulls that information from, because I don't have any LG
device. Unfortunately, Kaffeine doesn't let me choose another device.

The other very strange thing is that when I open Cheese and I go to
change the preferences, I see both the webcam and the WinTV HVR as video
sources. they are listed as:

Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 (/dev/video0)
Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 (/dev/video1)

When I select the Logitech webcam, I only get static, but when I select
the WinTV-HVR device, I get some kind of signal, not static. I get a
black screen with a green bar at the bottom.

Does anyone know what happens if I unplug all of my USB devices and plug
them back in different USB ports? Would that confuse Linux? I don't know
what caused my webcam to stop working, other than plugging it to
different USB ports. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Juan