[UbuntuDallas] Video issues

Juan Collao collao at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 8 06:14:38 GMT 2010

Well, I had read that MythTV is actually a really good program, but I
also read that may people had a hard time installing it. I did notice
that MythTV is part of the Ubuntu Software Center and that was
encouraging because most of those programs work well, but I also noticed
that MythTV had two parts: backend and frontend. So the question
becomes: How do I install both in a way that makes them work well
together? There has to be a reason they don't come together in one
package. What steps should I have to take then to install both parts
successfully?

Also, a previous message provided this suggestion:

If you're running digital, I believe you should be able to cat
/dev/<videodevice>    >   filename.mpg
and then play back that file with most any software.

Yes, I would be running digital, but I'm not sure I understand what this
command would do. Also, what would my videodevice be?

I really would like to thank everyone for your thoughtful comments and
suggestions. The user communities are really the strength of Linux. If I
called Apple or Microsoft for help, I'm sure no one would talk to me
unless they had my credit card on file. I'm sure I will be able to
figure out this TV issue some day, which by the way, would be the last
thing on my list of "must have" applications for my computer. I'm happy
to say that I have been able to get everything else to work great.

Regards,

Juan