[UbuntuDallas] Video issues

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sun Feb 7 02:07:25 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Juan Collao <collao at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Funny how you mentioned that you were not able to Sync your Windows mobile
> device with Linux. I got mine to work with Synce. Their user mailing list is
> very helpful too. If you have Ubuntu and Evolution, it works great. Check it
> out:
>
> http://www.synce.org/moin/
>
> Now as far as MythTV, I read that some people have been able to get the same
> type of TV card to work with it; however, I'm kind of intimidated by the
> installation procedure for MythTV. I'm not that experienced with Linux and I
> have already wasted a ton hours trying to make some things work. Besides, I
> agree that since one of my programs picks up the TV card, somehow Linux can
> detect it, I just need to find out how to point the right device to the
> right program. I had read somewhere that there is a way to configure video
> devices, but I just don't know how. I'm sure that at some point I will get
> it to work. I will be sure to let you all know.

It's true that MythTV can be finicky at times.   Many pieces of
hardware work so well it's hard to believe it's Linux, while other
things can turn into black holes.  I wasn't necessarily recommending
trying MythTV, although with the mythbuntu-media-centre package, is it
quite easy to configure now-a-days (disclaimer: I help out on the
mythbuntu team).

Regardless if you are considering MythTV or not, I would encourage you
to research the analog vs. digital portions of your configuration as I
described in my previous email.

   Marc