[UbuntuDallas] October 8th ReCap

JJNova jjnova at gamecootie.com
Sat Nov 14 06:39:33 GMT 2009

Hello Ubuntu Dallas,

On October 8th, we held a meeting at Dave and Busters in Frisco. Here is
a quick summary of the events that occured (as far as I can remember).

25oz Glasses of Dos Equis were ordered.

The pros and cons of many Distributions being used as servers. Security,
Password management, and access across those servers. No decision as to
what is the 'best', but volatileminds.net utilizes Ubuntu, so a round of
highfives for their services.

Comparison of OpenMoko vs Android. Once again, we discussed mobile
devices and universally agreed that the Apple iPhone sucks. Okay, not
really. We did universally agree that everyone using AT&T can't wait to
abandon them and move to a company that offers more options as far as
operating systems are concerned. Member sklnd will be dropping his
iPhone for the new Droid. Learn more about that at our next meeting!

25oz glassed of Shiner Bock are served.

Watched some football. Discussed our fantasy football leagues (scary
bringing up sports at one of these). Although it wasn't mentioned, I
should look for an easy stat tracker.

I brought a book from 1996 titled, "Running Linux". Took the opportunity
to browse the text and reminisce about the good ol' days (which as most
will recall, weren't all that good). I had bookmarked the page
explaining how to install LiLo. Everyone laughed, as Grub2 has caused
more than a few headaches lately.

Another round of Shiner Bock. This time member sklnd wussed out and got
the 16oz glass. Probably was the best option, as from this point on,
things aren't too clear to me. I do remember that we will be playing
with Windows 7. If you haven't had the opportunity to hear first hand
experiences, make sure you attend the next meeting!

Hope to see you all next month.
-jj