Introduction and proposed topic for April meeting

Kevin Jones freelinuxpc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:47:32 GMT 2008

Hi All,
I am new to the SC Ubuntu LoCo list, but wanted to introduce myself. I live
in the Upstate SC area and am a member of the Upstate Carolinas Linux User
Group (www.uclug.org). We started the Free Linux PC (FLPC) program as a way
to recycle used computers back in to the local community. Our new Joomla
site just went live a few days ago (it still needs a LOT of work:). You can
visit the site at www.freelinuxpc.org.

I'd like to discuss how the FLPC group can work with SC Ubuntu team to
promote the adoption and use of F/LOSS and Ubuntu at the April 22nd and/or
30th meeting(s). We are currently offering Edubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8 on our
FLPC images. With the introduction of Edubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9 in April,
the schools of the world will have two top-notch open source operating
systems to choose from that are tailored to school environments with LTSP 5
built-in and lots of very cool features. I personally feel that the
education arena has the most to gain by the adoption of F/LOSS and am very
interested in helping schools and communities to further adoption of F/LOSS.
If anyone on the SC Ubuntu list is interested in following our Google Group
discussion, please feel free to sign up at
http://groups.google.com/group/uclug-flpc.

Thanks and I hope to see you all at the meeting!

Regards,
Kevin Jones
www.freelinuxpc.org