Start of CD Distribution

Steve Bourg steve.ubuntu at integrity.bourg.net
Sat Jul 22 21:14:23 BST 2006

I received 50 Ubuntu CDs yesterday from shipit.ubuntu.com - woot!  I
stopped by the closest computer store http://all-computer-service.com.  I
knew from a previous trip that they already had Ubuntu CDs in the back.
This time they had the CDs at the back wall of their sales counter - it's
a step up! :)  They had a few version 5.10 disks so they filled the CD
holder with a dozen version 6.06 disks.  The owner of the store was out
sick so I was unable to discuss additional opportunities.  I plan to
revisit next weekend.  At the very least I'd like to get their permission
to mention them as a CD distributor and provide them contact info for CD
refills.

I've been thinking about mutual opportunies - I'd really like to establish
a showcase retailer relationship.  Here are some ideas:

- Provide retailer my contact number for CD restocking
- Obtain permission from retailer to acknowledge them as an Ubuntu CD
Distributor
- Create a full promotional display for Ubuntu
  -- A full Ubuntu installed computer with showcase applications
installed, for use by customers
  -- The display computer system would be 100% Ubuntu compatible and would
be available for sale as displayed
  -- Standard Ubuntu media materials (brochures, CDs, etc)
- Volunteer my efforts to determine which hardware being sold at the
retailer is Ubuntu ready.  I could create and maintain a hardware list
that their sales staff could reference when needing to sell a hardware for
an Ubuntu system.
- Provide the retailer with a software "equivalency" list so they can
be a more informed advocate of the platform's software options/potential.
- Offer basic demonstration training
- Offer system support training

I believe that if we can help the retailer become capable of supporting
the platform and explaining/demonstrating its capabilities, then it's to
their benefit to sell a more cost competitive configuration.

Steve Bourg