Ubuntu-us-pnw Digest, Vol 1, Issue 2

Dan Shufelt dshufelt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 21:03:40 BST 2006

RE: Access to Ubuntu media

Steve,

I'd be happy to take this as an action item and try to figure out where we
can purchase Ubuntu CD's whole sale in effort to support the ShipIt team.  I
know I found a WIKI page at one point that covered this topic but I'll start
asking around.

Another way we could go about this is to look in to paying for the CD's
images to be burnt and the Sleeves and labels printed.  The Do It Yourself
Marketing page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing) has the sleeves,
labels, and ISO's for the CD's.

I'll follow up on this Next week (the next two weekends I plan on acting
like a lush at the Portland Beer Festivals).

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:21:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Steve Bourg <steve.ubuntu at integrity.bourg.net>
> Subject: Access to Ubuntu media
> To: ubuntu-us-pnw at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> I'd like to keep a stock of Ubuntu installation media to ensure that
> physical distribution points don't dry up.  Current access to free media
> seems uncontrolled (quantity of media provided for request) and
> inconsistent (ship
> times).  Is there any way that I can pay (my way of contributing) in-part
> or in-whole for Ubuntu
> installation media and have it shipped ~immediately upon request?  I
> noticed that the media is being resold on Amazon, but for $10 per CD!!
> I'm hoping that I could buy the media in quantity at ~cost and maintain
> consistent
> access to the media.
>
> This may be premature - aside from waiting for my very first batch of 50
> CDs (I requested 70), I don't have background to say that distribution
> will be hard to maintain w/ the current option.  I do see signs though.  I
> suspect that retailers won't keep an emtpy CD holder on the counter for
> too long..
>
> Steve Bourg

> End of Ubuntu-us-pnw Digest, Vol 1, Issue 2

Best regards,

Dan Shufelt

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
nail." -Abraham Maslow