[Ubuntu-US-PA] Security issue on Ubuntu Forums - IMPORTANT for all members on it
jedijf at myfisher.org
Sun Jul 21 11:46:20 UTC 2013
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: George Christofis <geochr22 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:38:30 +0300
Subject: Security issue on Ubuntu Forums - IMPORTANT for all members on it
To: "Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts"
<loco-contacts at lists.ubuntu.com>
Due to a security breach Ubuntu Forums is down.Please let your loco members
know what they must do if they have an account on Ubuntu Forums.
You can read below the official announcement from
Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance
There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS
team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page
will be updated regularly with progress reports.
What we know
- Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username,
password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.
- The passwords are not stored in plain text. However, if you were using
the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as
email), you are *strongly* encouraged to change the password on the
other service ASAP.
- Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are *NOT
affected* by the breach.
- 2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement
- 2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place
while investigation continues.
If you're using Ubuntu and need technical support please see the following
page for support:
- Finding Help<http://community.ubuntu.com/help-information/finding-help/support>
If you're looking for a place to discuss Ubuntu, in the meantime we
encourage you to check out these sites:
- The Ubuntu subreddit <http://reddit.com/r/ubuntu>
- The Ubuntu Community on
- Ubuntu Discourse <http://ubuntu-discourse.org>
irc freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"
-- Jedi Master Yoda
More information about the Ubuntu-us-pa