[Ubuntu-US-PA] Ubuntu-us-pa Digest, Vol 55, Issue 2

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:45:26 UTC 2012

Hello all and especially Thomas,

I'm Blaine Clark from DuBois, on the 100 mile post of I-80 and on route
219. I switched from XP to Ubuntu several years ago along with my wife
who decided to switch after watching me patch her Win 7 after some
updates messed her computer up and seeing me have no problems at all
with Ubuntu, which happens to be the reason I dumped XP. We are a Linux
household! We are also members of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind.
When I was researching my OS switch, I found out about Vinux, which is
Ubuntu that's been optimized by and for the visually impaired. I've
since installed Vinux on several computers for blind friends and sent
out a few installation disks for others who were curious.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vinux I even mailed the
tower of a desktop to a member near Lancaster using the Free Matter for
the Blind USPS program. Any item, from large sized text for the legally
blind to hardware that's been purposely altered for use by the blind
qualifies for the Free Matter program. Keyboards without large letter
keys don't qualify, nor do mouses or some other hardware that can't be
altered.

Last week, our son's mother-in-law got some expensive news about her
laptop. It had crashed and wouldn't get past the BIOS. Her only option,
apparently, was to buy a new Win 7 installation disk since her laptop
hadn't come with one and she hadn't made one for herself. I asked her
why she wanted to pay for MS twice if a reinstall was all she needed.
She's not much more than a casual user, emailing, browsing, gaming and
very little else. I told her there was a fix that was free and permanent
that I could try. She became very skeptical immediately. I explained
about Linux and I had a (sorry) Mint 13 Maya/Mate disk with me that I
was trying for myself. I'm not fond of the Unity desktop and I want to
upgrade. I installed Mint for her, installed Firestarter, some games
that she thought looked interesting and Bleachbit. After setting up
Firestarter I did a deep clean with Bleachbit and that sped up her
laptop like lightening! She still has some trouble getting wrapped
around the idea that she doesn't really need an anti-virus and that she
can't install 'Windows' programs ... yet. Later on I may introduce her
to WINE. There was not one bit of a learning curve for her between Win 7
and Mint 13. She fell right into it and likes it better than MS and
likes it better every day!

She couldn't get over how quick and easy Thunderbird was to set up,
without the installation disks from her ISP that she was sure I needed
and without a call to her ISP support either! She likes the Desktop and
System navigation, very Win 7-ish, and how when she clicks on a program
it opens NOW, not a couple seconds later. Startup is also great, knocks
her socks off! Another convert and full-time Linux user I'm sure!

XChat is an IRC package. IRC is Internet Relay Chat. 'Talk', or text
chat with others in chat 'rooms' defined by their address such as
#ubuntu-us-pa.