[Ubuntu-US-PA] 32 bit vs. k64 bit for Linux

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:54:03 UTC 2012

@Charles:
Don't forget PAE (Physical Address Extension) kernels allow greater
than 4GB of RAM to be accessed on 32-bit systems ... with a slight
performance hit.

Windows has the 3.5GB of RAM limit - with the PAE kernel in use, Linux does not.

So we have 32-bit kernel without PAE and with PAE (access more memory)
for 32-bit systems.
And we have 64-bit kernel for 64-bit systems.

It is possible not all packages are either available for 64-bit or
there might be something that doesn't work properly.  It's a big
maybe, but it is possible to run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system.

Support for devices and packages is best for 32-bit systems since it's
been around longer and the user base is larger.  The 64-bit user
base/support is becoming larger though.  I can't think of an
application or otherwise that I've heard isn't available for 64-bit
recently.

@Lee:
I don't see any reason why a 64-bit OS on a system with 2 to 3GB of
RAM would be slower than that same system running a 32-bit OS.  I've
never noticed that nor have I specifically tested it.  PAE performance
is another story though ^.

@Charles:
Probably best/a must to go with 64-bit if you've got more than 4GB of RAM.
Unless I'm missing something there isn't exactly a clear cut reason
not to run 64-bit anymore. ;)

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //