[Ubuntu-US-PA] Is a Windows operting system needed ?

Stephen Nichols ChinnoDog at lonesheep.net
Wed Apr 4 13:48:25 UTC 2012

Depending on what type of connection your external drive has and the
features in your BIOS you may not be able to boot to it. If it isn't a
bootable your only choice is to install Windows on the primary drive and
Ubuntu on the external drive with /boot on the primary. If the drive is
eSATA then you probably don't have this problem and the external drive will
have similar performance to the primary but if it is USB or FireWire then
expect the external drive to be slower.