[Ubuntu-US-PA] Display difficulties

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Mon Sep 20 01:59:49 BST 2010

On 09/19/2010 07:53 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> I don't use Wubi, so I had to do a bit of research to find out exactly
> what it was.
>
> Wubi basically creates a loop mounted file(s) that is booted by ntldr
> via an entry in boot.ini

Odd...  But I guess it works.  So, back to the OP.

On 09/19/2010 06:27 PM, Rick Bryant wrote:
 > Hi all...
 >
 > I'm having an issue with Ubuntu and am hoping someone may be able to
 > point me in the right direction. I have a dual boot system with 7 and
 > Ubuntu. I used wubi for th Ubuntu install. While I'm in Ubuntu, I'm
 > having having occasional display issues with it.  At random times the
 > display turn to lines and I can't return to the desktop unless I hard
 > boot the system. The display issues seem to correspond to launching a
 > program. I'm thinking it's some sort of driver issue, but I'm fairly
 > new to Linux and have not worked with drivers in Linux before. Any
 > help would be greatly apreeciated.

To start, we need to know what you have for a video card.  If you don't
know, from Linux you can run a terminal (Applications --> Accessories
--> Terminal) and run "lspci | grep VGA" without the quotes.  What that
does is LiSt the PCI buss, then pipe the output to the program "grep"
and filter for a line with "VGA" in it.  Then post back what you get.

			Lee