[Ubuntu-US-PA] Outing Microsoft...

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 00:25:18 BST 2010

One last point, you have a dilemma with exchange versions. Evolution, with
Exchange 2003 and the evolution-exchange plug in works great with Ubuntu.
Evolution-mapi with exchange 2007, not so well.

On the other hand, MAC OSX, 10.6 only works well with Exchange 2007, and not
2003.

DavMail is a great work-around. Ubuntu and Mac versions work with Exchange
2003 & 2007.

A version of DavMail is in development that works with Exchange 2010.  The
upstream Evolution developers are currently working on an Exchange 2010 plug
in as well.

Discourage Entourage on MAC, and Cross-over on Linux. You are better off
running Outlook 2007 or greater in Virtualbox (Linux) or Parallels on MAC.

I've been through all of this and can talk off list if it is getting too off
topic

--
Art Alexion

On Jul 21, 2010 9:28 AM, "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:

On 07/21/2010 05:40 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
> Bringing exchange in-house will not solve the financial...
Having to do that anyway.  This was a small business a few years ago,
and the core was built as such.  It has been doubling in size for the
past 2 years, and is expected to continue to do so.  I already have a
project approved to rewire the entire office, and add all new managed
gigabit switches to replace the cascaded workgroup switches in place now.

> Software licensing. (I don't think you will find something other than
> exchange that fully suppo...
We are multi-platform, and Exchange on Mac is less than spectacular.  On
Linux, it gets bad fast.  So, I am trying to find as many outlook pieces
as I can...

> Speaking of backup, you will also need an off site backup and disaster
> recovery solution. Next,...
We need that anyway.  They had a 6TB netgrear NAS as the only file
server with no backup.  Also no AD or domains...  Now a nice big SAMBA
server and we are backing up to Amazon cloud storage.  Using that, we
can replicate to other cold standby sites cheaply as well, and only tie
up our Internet pipe once!

> Hosting your own exchange has its advantages, but cost savings isn't one
of
> them. Cost savings...
We are paying $8000 a month for 100 mailboxes.  Cost savings will be
there.  But it is actually a very small part of the driver for this.

> I'm a FOSS advocate, but my day job involves exchange administration. If
you
> are serving to out...
I do agree that Exchange is a very hard tool to beat.  Say what you want
about MS, but they built a solid franchise here.  But it does have some
major fleas.  At this point, we are willing to loose some ease of use to
fix some major itches.

                       Lee

PS:  I am liking this debate, and it is nice to see some traffic.  But
if people feel it is a bit out of place, just say so.

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: