[Ubuntu-US-PA] Outing Microsoft...

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Jul 21 14:28:02 BST 2010

On 07/21/2010 05:40 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
> Bringing exchange in-house will not solve the financial side of your
> problems.
>
> Consider, hardware provisioning, server(s) and switch upgrades. Increased
> energy costs.

Having to do that anyway.  This was a small business a few years ago,
and the core was built as such.  It has been doubling in size for the
past 2 years, and is expected to continue to do so.  I already have a
project approved to rewire the entire office, and add all new managed
gigabit switches to replace the cascaded workgroup switches in place now.

> Software licensing. (I don't think you will find something other than
> exchange that fully supports Outlook)  include OS licensing if you go
> exchange. Then you need an exchange admin plus backup staff.

We are multi-platform, and Exchange on Mac is less than spectacular.  On
Linux, it gets bad fast.  So, I am trying to find as many outlook pieces
as I can...

> Speaking of backup, you will also need an off site backup and disaster
> recovery solution. Next, you will need to provide your own spam filtering.

We need that anyway.  They had a 6TB netgrear NAS as the only file
server with no backup.  Also no AD or domains...  Now a nice big SAMBA
server and we are backing up to Amazon cloud storage.  Using that, we
can replicate to other cold standby sites cheaply as well, and only tie
up our Internet pipe once!

> Hosting your own exchange has its advantages, but cost savings isn't one of
> them.  Cost savings only materialize with significant growth.

We are paying $8000 a month for 100 mailboxes.  Cost savings will be
there.  But it is actually a very small part of the driver for this.

> I'm a FOSS advocate, but my day job involves exchange administration. If you
> are serving to outlook, if you are using active directory, you need
> exchange.

I do agree that Exchange is a very hard tool to beat.  Say what you want
about MS, but they built a solid franchise here.  But it does have some
major fleas.  At this point, we are willing to loose some ease of use to
fix some major itches.

			Lee

PS:  I am liking this debate, and it is nice to see some traffic.  But
if people feel it is a bit out of place, just say so.