[Ubuntu-US-PA] Outing Microsoft...

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 11:40:04 BST 2010

Bringing exchange in-house will not solve the financial side of your
problems.

Consider, hardware provisioning, server(s) and switch upgrades. Increased
energy costs.

Software licensing. (I don't think you will find something other than
exchange that fully supports Outlook)  include OS licensing if you go
exchange. Then you need an exchange admin plus backup staff.

Speaking of backup, you will also need an off site backup and disaster
recovery solution. Next, you will need to provide your own spam filtering.

Hosting your own exchange has its advantages, but cost savings isn't one of
them.  Cost savings only materialize with significant growth.

I'm a FOSS advocate, but my day job involves exchange administration. If you
are serving to outlook, if you are using active directory, you need
exchange.

--
Art Alexion

On Jul 19, 2010 1:35 PM, "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:

On 07/19/2010 12:17 PM, Stephen Nichols wrote:
> "Working" is always the problem. I've been a window...
We are spending $8000 a month on a solution that has very poor
performance, and is not cross platform, while our office is.  It also
drops, hangs, and changes and updates take a week to go through.  So
there is some money to do it right. :) (Thank God!)

> I'm interested in knowing what you pick as your solution and how it goes
> over with your users. ...
I am sure a lot of it is.  Because the Windows users with Outlook are
very concerned that the new service work as well as Exchange, and the
MAC users with Entourage are just happy to see the ability to use
another client.  And as a Linux user...  WOOHOO! :)

Lee

Modify settings or unsubscribe ...