[Ubuntu-US-PA] Outing Microsoft...

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Mon Jul 19 18:35:46 BST 2010

On 07/19/2010 12:17 PM, Stephen Nichols wrote:
> "Working" is always the problem. I've been a windows guy for more than 10
> years now. Companies always seem to underestimate the resources required to
> administer an Exchange server and its storage requirements and to be able to
> execute a disaster recovery plan if there is a problem.  My experience tells
> me that hosting your own exchange server (or clone) can be a full time job,
> and may not be worth doing until there is someone to fill those shoes. Just
> my 2c.

We are spending $8000 a month on a solution that has very poor
performance, and is not cross platform, while our office is.  It also
drops, hangs, and changes and updates take a week to go through.  So
there is some money to do it right. :) (Thank God!)

> I'm interested in knowing what you pick as your solution and how it goes
> over with your users. This is an area where MS always seems to win in terms
> of features and user satisfaction, but that might just be due to the feature
> set of Outlook itself.

I am sure a lot of it is.  Because the Windows users with Outlook are
very concerned that the new service work as well as Exchange, and the
MAC users with Entourage are just happy to see the ability to use
another client.  And as a Linux user...  WOOHOO! :)

			Lee