[Ubuntu-US-PA] Help Recovering Data from Grub Menu

Aaron Couch aaron at zivtech.com
Mon Feb 15 14:57:33 GMT 2010

hi Ubunut PAers:

I have a problem. Maybe you can help out with some advice.

I had a dual partition windows/ubuntu 9.10 machine. I was using virtualbox
to install another OS when the machine froze. When I went restarted I
couldn't boot into Ubuntu again. What I think happened is that there wasn't
enough room left on the Ubuntu partition and so it overwrote some key files
(any idea what those could have been? i'm interested if someone can explain
what happened in any technical detail).

So I can still load grub. I can see my old files. But I can't figure out how
to get to them. I saw somewhere that I should be able to load in 'recovery
mode' using a Ubuntu CD but I've loaded the CD and don't see an option for
'recovery mode'.

It is ext4 so I can't use windows to get to the files (I've found tools to
get to ext3 files from windows in another partition but not ext4). I also
have Fedora running on the machine which uses ext4 but can't see the old
ubuntu files from Fedora. Again if I restart I can still load grub and see
the old ubuntu files.

Any advice? Luckily I had most things backed up but there is definitely a
couple of hours of work there I would love to get back.

best,

-Aaron

----

Aaron Couch