[Ubuntu-US-PA] UBUNTU Live CD WINE

jonathan at jdsnetwork.com jonathan at jdsnetwork.com
Fri Feb 12 12:24:25 GMT 2010

Hi willie,

Isn't windows fun? :)

I recently had to fight with a similar issue, which presented me a great
chance to show off ubuntu to a friend.  Managed to leave the CD there with
him too.

Anyway, the userinit string is likely not where you are looking, which could
be why you are having difficulty with those methods.

Most of the registry is in the system32\config directory, but userinit is
per user. so when you get regedit working in wine (which it does) you'll
want to load the hive from your users directory (documents and
settings\username\ntuser.dat). From here, it's under
software\microsoft\Windows NT\currentversion\winlogon.  You may be able to
use this info to fix it with bart or similar in the meantime, but please
keep playing with ubuntu, I think you'll find you like it even more as time
goes on.  It may well be safer to apply the above and use bartpe or remote
registry editing.

So finally. depending on your machine, you probably do not need to add
anything to the livecd.  Boot to your livecd, go to add/remove applications,
and search for wine in there.  It should install into memory and I believe
regedit will come along with it.   If you reboot, it will be gone again, as
it was never installed to the disk or hard drive.  Again, be careful editing
it this way, and backup that NTuser.dat before you make any changes.

Hope this helps,

JonathanD