[Ubuntu-US-PA] LoCo / LUG in Washington PA area?

Alex Gretlein gretlein at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 22:19:14 GMT 2009

UFW should be installed by default. If not IPTables definitely is. That
said, there shouldn't be any ports open on a default Ubuntu install anyway
(AFAIK), so the firewall is not that important. Then you can install clamAV
from the repositories before using your USB drive. ClamAV probably won't
actually be on the CD, unless it's a DVD.
You're probably expected to use the CD via a USB CD-drive. One of the best
investments I've ever made was in a $20 converter with USB on one end and
connections for two sizes of IDE and two sizes of SATA on the other. Then
you can just use whatever hardware you have laying around, and not have to
keep USB versions of everything unless you need them often.
I think UNetBootin can convert the CD to a bootable SD card, *if* the
netbook can boot from that slot. But for installation of software or
re-installation of the OS you would probably want to download a more recent
image anyway. Except possibly for whatever drivers Dell stuck on there.

Alex Gretlein