[Ubuntu-US-PA] Mail policy

Bret Fledderjohn freelancer317 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 00:45:00 GMT 2009

Just for  the record, I REALLY don't want to review every message before it
is posted... I was just saying that repeat offenders can be flagged to
moderate mode where their emails are reviewed before being posted.

I would say that we have a very good group of people here who don't spam
(and the one that made it through there was unintended).

We are currently getting about 20 - 30 pieces of spam from outside the
members to the list per week, which are being trapped in the spam filter.
They are then reviewed and if they are truly spam then they are deleted.

I really only want to put this in place so we have a standardized way to
handle this if this were to turn into a problem.

2009/3/18 Christopher Houdeshell <choudeshell at gmail.com>

> Yes but I don't think it has been that big of an issue looking at the
> archive. Though we should all agree on "how much spam per week" is enough to
> get this list moderated.
>
> 2009/3/18 Mike Ezell <linux at mikeezell.org>
>
>>  Your suggestion for handling this type of situation is "spot on" IMHO.
>> Thanks for addressing this with the community.
>>

>> Bret Fledderjohn wrote:
>>
>> Well, it looks like some spam has slipped into the mix here.  I've blocked
>> the exterior messages, however this one came from within the list.  It looks
>> like fubar sent it to this list using a member's email.  I've sent an email
>> to the member, and wanted to make sure that everyone is on board that if
>> this type of email hits the list what you would like me to do.
>>
>> As you may or may not know, 99.9% of the spam is blocked and discarded by
>> one of the administrators after review, unless someone is a subscriber to
>> the list, if that is the case, it just flies right through.  I would propose
>> that if I see this again, I will put the email account in question on
>> "moderate" which means that all their messages to the list must be reviewed
>> by one of the list administrators.  If we see these messages continue, the
>> user will be unsubscribed and banned from the list.
>>
>> The other option, which I don't really want, is a completely moderated
>> list.
>>
>> Now I don't want to be draconian, but I don't want to see this list become
>> a spam dumping ground.  Since we are a community, I wanted to ask for input
>> from you, the community, how you want to handle it?
>>
>> --
>> - Bret
>>

>> --

> Christopher Houdeshell