[Ubuntu-US-PA] Remix The Future

Bryan Behrenshausen behrenshausen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:16:52 BST 2009

Hi everyone,

I apologize for missing the meeting last evening.  I was planning to
attend, but, alas, life got in the way.

I wanted to attend particularly because I was hoping to discuss an
opportunity for some Ubuntu/free software
presentations,demonstrations, or other events.

As I mentioned at a meeting several weeks ago, I'm an instructor at
Millersville University in Lancaster.  For the next two years, the
university theme will be "Remix the Future, Remake Our World," and the
university will sponsor campus events designed to highlight
technological and cultural innovations across a broad spectrum of
curricula.  Here's an official release from the University Theme
Committee (.doc file filtered by Google for easier access):

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:D4oX2c_MLfwJ:www.millersville.edu/provost/Announcing%2520University%2520Theme%25202009-11.doc+Millersville+%22remix+the+future%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&c

Last semester I taught a course in the politics of information
economies, which examined (among other things) the ethos of
free/open-source software, privacy in the Information Age, the role of
distributed/decentralized communication technologies in new modes of
organization and activism, the Creative Commons, and the future of
governance in the digital era.  One day, I asked: "Who's heard of
Linux?"  One student raised his hand.

I think the university theme creates an excellent environment for
raising awareness about open-source operating systems and other OSS on
campus.  My hope is that it provides opportunities for students to
learn about alternatives to Big Media and Big Software, and explore
these alternatives hands-on.  It may be the only exposure to OSS some
of them will ever have before graduating and heading off to
corporations already under Microsoft's spell.

Do any of you think the PA loco team could potentially play a role in
"remix" themed events?  As I'm new to the community, I honestly admit
that I defer to all of you for explanations of what you've done in the
past, or ideas for presentations/events on campus.

When the university releases more information about upcoming events
related to its theme, I will be sure to forward more details about
opportunities.  And if I'm not mistaken, our computer science
department is home to a vibrant Ubuntu users group.  Perhaps we could
team with them.  Again, just an idea.

What do you think?

Bryan