[Ubuntu-US-PA] Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap wireless card for my Desktop?

Stephen Nichols ChinnoDog at lonesheep.net
Fri Jan 9 23:33:21 GMT 2009

That seems like an expensive way to go for something that might not work.  I
say it might not work because powerline networking depends on how your house
is wired and isn't as mainstream as wifi.  I've used powerline adapters
before but it seems hit and miss.  Two floors should not be a problem for a
wireless AP an and wifi card with properly oriented antennas.  I've shot
wifi through a concrete floor and 3 apartments including a firewall using a
Linksys 802.11b router and Linksys USB NIC.  Newegg has a basic PCI WiFi
card starting at $10
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180030).  There is
a USB adapter with a dipole antenna for about $20 shipped
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166022).  I have
not checked them for Linux compatibility but the comments usually reveal
whether they will work or not.  There are similar variants near the same
price if those aren't the ticket.