[Ubuntu-US-PA] Hardy - Desktop Effects

{MB} SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:59:21 BST 2009

With work and summer courses eating up most of my time, I didn't take
initiative and update my install of Hardy until this weekend.  ;-)

I have a laptop with an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics chip, which ran Compiz-Dev
desktop effects on 6.10 Edgy.  When I did a clean install to run 7.04
Feisty, I found the desktop effects under System > Preferences > Appearance.
 So I used the "built-in" effects and they worked great.  I updated (not
clean install/wipe) to 7.10 Gutsy and lost the effects.  Now that I've clean
installed Hardy, I can't get them either!!!

I don't have any proprietary non-free drivers to enable for the GPU.

 lspci shows this for the graphics card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7
LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

3D support:
$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Ok so I did some searching online and found a tutorial that instructed me to
install the following:
1) compizconfig-settings-manager 2) emerald 3) fusion-icon
I did that, then ran the compiz icon app / enable emerald / restart the
window mgr ... now I have basic effects (default compiz).  I checked the
Appearance and clicked Normal instead of None = error message about not
being able to run the effects.  I decided to start writing this message to
the list and wanted to screenshot the error message ... well Normal effects
were ENABLED!  And now I can enable Extra.

Maybe I'm going crazy. :-S

Thanks for reading this far.  ;-P
>> Is it just me or was there some dependency that was totally missing on
the install CD?
I'm looking for an explanation and hopefully I won't have to wrangle with
the video for my next update/install.
Anyone else have any issues similar to this (any version)?

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //