[Ubuntu PA] Fwd: Ubuntu help for a business

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 27 20:04:59 GMT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Bret Fledderjohn
<freelancer317 at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> One of my biggest issues with Windows is that every time there's an upgrade
> or a new release, something breaks. I was under the impression that Ubuntu
> was more consistent and did not follow this trend. Unfortunately the recent
> posts on how the last change from 7.10 to 8.04 broke VMware is extremely
> concerning and is causing me to reconsider if Ubuntu is the right choice for
> my business. It is starting to appear to me that Ubuntu is great for the
> computer hobbyist, someone who is really into writing code or to just sit
> there and serve files to windows clients.

I think it's important to mention here the difference between Ubuntu
LTS (Long Term Service) and the Ubuntu version that come out in the 6
month release cycle.

The 6 month release cycle of Ubuntu is fast, there are bugs, and these
are certainly better for the hobbyest who has time to debug issues
that came out with each release as a trade off for the latest
software. Managing a fleet of Ubuntu systems in a business/production
environment and upgrading every 6 months is very expensive. I wouldn't
recommend it.

The LTS release (the latest of which is 8.04) is designed to be the
"more consistent" model that Steve desires. It was developed for
server/production deployment and upgrades from LTS to LTS are
thoroughly tested - to the extend of delayed LTS releases sometimes
when a release isn't ready in time. An LTS comes out every 2 years and
is supported for 3-5 years (3 for desktop, 5 for server).

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com