[Ubuntu PA] Fwd: Ubuntu help for a business

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:54:03 GMT 2008

--

Art Alexion
Sent unsigned from an iPod. That's the reason for the top posting as
well.

On Oct 26, 2008, at 10:03 PM, "Brian Stempin"
<brian.stempin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brent,
>
> A few points:
>
> 1.  VMWare-specific
> From the email, it sounds like he's using VMWare Server (VMWare's
> free product).  This, as you may or may not know, breaks due to the
> fact that it requires kernel modules.  VMWare Server is not pretty
> on Ubuntu.  Perhaps he should look at a true virtualization
> hypervisor (Xen, VMWare ESX, etc), which handle the hardware 100%,
> as opposed to running on top of an existing OS.

Our servers run on ESX. ESX is Linux (jeos), but I can't remember
which flavor.

> 2.  Virtualization-general
> CentOS is probably better for virtualization than Ubuntu.  CentOS,
> particuarly RHEL and  Fedora, use Xen by default and has good
> integration with Xen.  Xen can even do Windows virtualizaion given
> the right type of processor (Intel VT, etc).  Ubuntu, OTOH, uses KVM
> standard, which can also do Win virtualization given the correct
> hardware (Ubuntu can run Xen, but it really stinks*) .  IMO, I think
> that Xen is much easier to operate (and has better graphical tools
> availiable) than KVM**.

Novell SLES is also built to run xen. It is included with the default
install.

> 3.  Ubuntu stability
> As stated in item 1, certain things that rely heavily on special
> kernel modules that are not 100% supported by Ubuntu by default tend
> to have a lot of trouble during upgrades.  This is the vast minority
> of software.  Using the VMWare example to justify being worried
> about Ubuntu's usability isn't really fair given all of the special
> stuff the consultant had to go through to get VMWare Server to work
> in the first place (it's a bit of a PITA).

Its been a while since I've tried to run vmware on Ubuntu (dapper?),
but my experience was as Brian describes.

> 4.  Lotus Approach
> From what I read, Approach is used to store data (possibly in a DB2
> DB) and to create reports based on that data.  A) DB2 supports
> running on a linux platform, and B) there are lots of tools that do
> report generation that are cross-platform and/or support Linux***.
> It might be worth looking into a new tool before moving to Ubuntu,
> depending on the size of the project.

It is likely a balance between re-writing the Aproach apps vs
virtualization. Approach is a desktop DBMS which should be easy to run
virtualized. The bigger issue will be data sharing between the vm and
the host.

> Also, is there anyone on the list that could say a bit about KVM
> virtualization?  Perferably someone that's used it?

Kvm works great on Ubuntu (hardy) given the right CPU.