[Ubuntu PA] Fwd: Ubuntu help for a business

brent timothy saner brent.saner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 02:13:40 GMT 2008

Brian Stempin wrote:
> Hi Brent,
>
> A few points:
>
> 1.  VMWare-specific
> From the email, it sounds like he's using VMWare Server (VMWare's free
> product).  This, as you may or may not know, breaks due to the fact that
> it requires kernel modules.  VMWare Server is not pretty on Ubuntu.
> Perhaps he should look at a true virtualization hypervisor (Xen, VMWare
> ESX, etc), which handle the hardware 100%, as opposed to running on top
> of an existing OS.
>
> 2.  Virtualization-general
> CentOS is probably better for virtualization than Ubuntu.  CentOS,
> particuarly RHEL and  Fedora, use Xen by default and has good
> integration with Xen.  Xen can even do Windows virtualizaion given the
> right type of processor (Intel VT, etc).  Ubuntu, OTOH, uses KVM
> standard, which can also do Win virtualization given the correct
> hardware (Ubuntu can run Xen, but it really stinks*) .  IMO, I think
> that Xen is much easier to operate (and has better graphical tools
> availiable) than KVM**.
>
> 3.  Ubuntu stability
> As stated in item 1, certain things that rely heavily on special kernel
> modules that are not 100% supported by Ubuntu by default tend to have a
> lot of trouble during upgrades.  This is the vast minority of software.
> Using the VMWare example to justify being worried about Ubuntu's
> usability isn't really fair given all of the special stuff the
> consultant had to go through to get VMWare Server to work in the first
> place (it's a bit of a PITA).
>
> 4.  Lotus Approach
> From what I read, Approach is used to store data (possibly in a DB2 DB)
> and to create reports based on that data.  A) DB2 supports running on a
> linux platform, and B) there are lots of tools that do report generation
> that are cross-platform and/or support Linux***.  It might be worth
> looking into a new tool before moving to Ubuntu, depending on the size
> of the project.
>
> Also, is there anyone on the list that could say a bit about KVM
> virtualization?  Perferably someone that's used it?
>
> HTH,leas
> Brian
>
> *  Ubuntu 8.04 has a lot of problems with kernel bugs in the Xen
> kernel.  It works (I use it), but it's a pain.  I would not suggest
> running a business on it.
>
> **  I've never used KVM, but I did do a lot of reading and evaluated it
> before deciding to use Xen.  It just seems more intimidating than Xen,
> and the Xen graphical tools seem to be more plentiful.
>
> ***  There are no products in the category that I can personally vouch for.

hey stempi!

it's great to hear your input on this, as i know you have tons more Xen
experience than i do. an educated opinion always helps more. :)

vmware's entire line is really just that bad. some are more unpleasant,
some less. vmware server falls under the "more" category for sure,
especially the module probems.vmware really just has some lacking
stuff.. logging, debugging, and so forth.

i've worked with centos and i do so steadily at my current job. while i
do prefer it over RHEL, it'd be sad for the (sender to the) OP as he
already is familiar with ubuntu. do you know if debian has the
appropriate kernel OOB? that might be a good compromise for him- he
wouldn't need to learn a new package management system, it uses the same
sysinternals as ubuntu, and releases more often than CentOS (am i
correct on that? it's been a while since i used debian).

although i agree with your last point the most- if he can migrate to a
native DB system and native reports system, that would cut past all this
headache in the first place and he'd be a happier person in the end as a
result and hopefully bring us muffins as a thank-you gift. (i slipped a
bit into fantasy there, but you get the picture). do it once, do it
right. you know? (of course you do :D you're a fellow sysadmin).

any ideas from others on the list?