[Ubuntu PA] Meetlinux website

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 25 15:20:55 BST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Molly Crowley <mmcrowley at gmail.com> wrote:
> When the NTR out reach program was first launched. I set up this Joomla site
> with Community builder components as a thought for tracking the project.

Oh cool, I didn't know this had been done :)

> It has not been touched in a while so probably needs updating, but I could
> add RSS feeds, gallery components, calendar, other
> administrators......basically I am happy to modify it for your use, and
> transfer to whatever server you would like. It is on my development site
> right now....
>
> http://www.livingwebdesigns.com/philaloco/

Thanks for offering! Several of us have hosting for our own domains,
but we'd like to steer clear of something owned by one person moving
forward. The issue we ran into with Ace hosting was only the guys at
Ace had /full/ control, they weren't always available, and eventually
they had to even shut down my external access - so we were forced to
nudge them for any changes and this didn't work out so great.

> Have you looked into the google apps suite to solve some of these issues.
> Education edition is free for non-profits, and hosting is included on google
> servers. There is room for several admins, and both public and private
> pages, as well as docs, calendars, email etc.....

Unfortunately they require real, legal non-profits - of which we are
not one, we're just a "club" really with no legal non-profit status.
Certainly worth looking into for some things that the
free-for-everyone google apps offer, it might be nice to have email
for instance.

> Let me know if I can be of assistance in anyway.

Cool, once we get things launched it would be great if you could help
out with the website administrative tasks. Alex and I were doing
everything before and it got a bit tedious - help is always good!

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com