[Ubuntu PA] Canonical Webhosting

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 24 18:10:15 BST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Alex Gretlein <gretlein at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a Gallery module for Drupal. From the description, it appears
> that a move to Canonical's servers would require a switch to Drupal.
> Did I read that correctly?

I'm pretty sure that is accurate.

> At some level it seems to make sense that the LoCo's site should be on
> the Canonical hosting plan, and meetlinux should redirect there or be
> repurposed as a more general introduction to Linux site, whch could be
> a LoCo project.

Yes, at some level...

> Practically speaking, though, you should go with whatever is easiest
> and therefore the most likely to be maintained. If you ever need
> additional help - general or particular - with this, let me know and
> I'll pitch in.

Indeed, which is why I'm mailing now. After some research and nudging
others about their LoCo hosting and drawing from my experiences with
the Ubuntu Women site on Canonical hosting, I'm going to have to
withdrawal my proposal for using them. They might be good sometime in
the future, but for our needs a migration to them would be very time
consuming for us (migrating blog and gallery to drupal) and waiting
for configuration, setup and changes that we'll need made by Canonical
takes a very long time.

I've put out feelers in the local VPS provider community to see if we
can snag free hosting. I got a positive response from Linode and am
hopeful they will be able to help us out. Tektonic is also an option
that an employee there suggested (thanks Brent!)

I know a lot of us run hosting ourselves, but I want to keep this a
team maintained thing, so several people with administrative access on
the "machine", which may prevent most possible abuses and keeps things
appropriately maintained with less politics.

> It would be nice if events could be announced once and replicated
> elsewhere using a feed of some sort.

My brain is broken here. I've been trying to think of solutions to it
for a while now. I've got nothing. If we go with your calendar idea
I'd like to see several more people added with access to the calendar.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com